Thinking about visiting Lexington? With 14 bourbon distilleries within just 45 miles of our downtown and more than a dozen craft breweries, it’s easy to see why we’re nicknamed the Best Place in America to Grab a Drink—but we’re so much more.
Surrounded by more than 400 horse farms and miles upon miles of fence lined pasture, we’re also the Horse Capital of the World. Recently named one of Zagat’s 30 Most Exciting Food Cities in America, we’re the site of a culinary revolution. And we’re just a short drive from The Red River Gorge, one of Southern Living’s Seven Wonders of the South.
All of this might seem intimidating, we get it. So, to make it easy for you, here are the top ten things to do when you visit Lexington.
1. Visit a bourbon distillery, such as Buffalo Trace, James E. Pepper or Woodford Reserve.
2. Grab a drink at Bluegrass Tavern, featuring Kentucky’s largest selection of bourbon (over 800 individual bottles!).
3. Take a selfie with Derby winners or even Triple Crown winner, American Pharoah, on a Horse Country tour.
4. Cheer on thoroughbreds as they race to the finish line at Keeneland in April or October.
6. Spend an evening at the Distillery District–dine at Elkhorn Tavern, then get ice cream for dessert at Crank & Boom.
8. Take part in our Mural Challenge and hunt for some of our 50+ murals around the city.
9. Drink a pint at a craft brewery on the Brewgrass Trail.
10. Get lost on a drive through the rolling hills of the Bluegrass countryside.
Any questions? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Take a look around, read some guides, then start planning! We can't wait for you to fall in love with our city.