Thinking about visiting Lexington? With 14 bourbon distilleries within just 45 miles of our downtown and more than a dozen craft breweries, it’s easy to see why we’re nicknamed the Best Place in America to Grab a Drink—but we’re so much more.
Surrounded by more than 400 horse farms and miles upon miles of fence lined pasture, we’re also the Horse Capital of the World. Recently named one of Zagat’s 30 Most Exciting Food Cities in America, we’re the site of a culinary revolution. And we’re just a short drive from The Red River Gorge, one of Southern Living’s Seven Wonders of the South.
All of this might seem intimidating, we get it. So, to make it easy for you, here are the top ten things to do when you visit Lexington.
1. Visit a bourbon distillery, such as Buffalo Trace Distillery or Woodford Reserve.
2. Grab a drink at Bluegrass Tavern, featuring Kentucky’s largest selection of bourbon (over 800 individual bottles!).
3. Take a selfie with Triple Crown winner American Pharoah on a Horse Country Tour.
4. See Thoroughbreds charge to the finish line at Keeneland in April or October.
5. Dine at Dudley’s on Short, named the “Best Restaurant in Kentucky” by Southern Living.
6. Spend an evening at the Distillery District–dine at Middle Fork Kitchen Bar, then get ice cream for dessert at Crank & Boom.
7. Get outside and explore the Red River Gorge or Raven Run Nature Sanctuary.
8. Hunt for some of our 30+ murals around the city.
9. Drink a pint at a craft brewery on the Brewgrass Trail.
10. Get lost on a drive through the rolling hills of the Bluegrass countryside.
Any questions? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Take a look around, read some guides, then start planning your trip (just click “Add to Itinerary” at the end of any guide to use our Trip Planner tool). Or go straight to TripAdvisor and book your trip.