Jolly Old St. Nick will be making his annual appearance soon at Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Ky.. The holidays come to Buffalo Trace on Dec. 3, for the 17tgh annual "Lighting of the ...more
Come see us at the Lexington Visitors Center on Main Street, in the heart of Downtown.
401 West Main Street, Suite 104.
Monday through Friday 9:00 to 5:00; Saturdays 10:00 to 5:00.
Open on Sundays in the summers.
Our friendly Visitor Information Specialists are standing by at our Visitors Center with advice on things to see and do in Lexington and the Bluegrass Region. Come by to pick up a Visitor Planning Guide or map and browse our materials. Watch videos about the Bluegrass Region on one of five interactive screens, get your picture taken with a life-sized blue horse and check out our Bourbon still and other memorabilia.
Parking is available on Main Street in front of our Visitor Center (look for the black awning with the blue horse!), on the side street, Algonquin at the west end of The Square, and in the Victorian Square parking garage (enter from Short Street).
Lexington Visitors Center: The Square, 401 West Main Street, Lexington, KY 40507
The Square (formerly known as Victorian Square) is across from Lexington's convention center and beautiful Triangle Park. Located at the intersection of Main Street and Broadway, this block of Victorian buildings has played an important role in downtown Lexington since the 1870's.
The 16 buildings which make up The Square were originally constructed for commercial use and have included numerous saloons, restaurants, a cigar store, wholesale and retail grocers, a hotel, a confectioners, an opera house, an athletic club, the Lexington Buggy Company and McElhon & Moloney Plumbers -- all prior to 1900. You could also visit this block to purchase tinware and stoves, riding apparel, tobacco, baskets and willow ware and furniture or to get a shave and a haircut.
In 1983, a decision was made to renovate the entire block to ensure the vitality of this historic cluster of Victorian buildings. The facades of the buildings were left intact whenever possible. As the interior was remodeled, a series of ramps were constructed to connect the many different levels of the original floors. Great care was taken to preserve the decorative metal ceilings including replacing ceiling plates when possible with new ones manufactured using original presses. Interior halls and stairwells featured intricate tilework and ironwork typical of the Victorian Era. The Victorian Square Shoppes opened in 1985 offering a mix of shopping, galleries, artist studios, restaurants, bars, a children's museum and the Lexington Children's Theater. In 2012, the convention and visitors bureau designed a new Lexington Visitors Center on the first floor, facing TrianglePark.
Construction began in 2014 to re-imagine Victorian Square and its spaces were reconfigured. It is now home to Urban Outfitters and several new bars and restaurants. Stay tuned for exciting changes to this historic block.
The Square is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Take a 360 degree virtual tour of our new Visitors Center.
Note: VisitLEX, Lexington's convention and visitors bureau, administrative offices and sales force is now located at 250 West Main Street, Suite 2100; the building referred to by locals as "Big Blue."