African American Heritage Trail

Polk Dalton Infirmary

9.  Historic African American Health Center 
Polk-Dalton Infirmary


148 Deweese 

In the center of the Lexington African American cultural and residential community, Dr. John Polk set up his medical practice from 1921 to 1931.  He was the first physician to have occupied the historic structure.  Dr. J.R. Dalton later established his medical practice in this building where he stayed for many decades.  Other African American doctors who joined him on Deweese (Dewees) Street included Dr. Henry Merchant who arrived during the Great Depression and Dr. Marshall Jones who set up his practice in the post-World War II period.  This landmark is presently the headquarters for the Lexington-Fayette County Urban League which had its grand opening in 1999.

Polk Dalton Infirmary

Photo courtesy of 
Lexington Convention and Visitors Bureau