African American Heritage Trail

Pleasant Green

4.Historic Pleasant Green Baptist Church

540 West Maxwell

Referred to as the "oldest Baptist church west of the Allegheny Mountains," the roots of Pleasant Green were planted in 1790--the year that the first census of the United States was taken.  The slave, "Old Captain," Peter Duerett, is credited with having founded the first African Baptist Church in Lexington.  In 1822, the land was conveyed to slaves.  The present church at West Maxwell changed its name to "Pleasant Green" in 1829.  The landmark building was completed following the stock market crash that launched the beginning of the Great Depression.

Pleasant Green Baptist Church

Photo courtesy of 
Lexington Convention and Visitors Bureau