Lexington's excellent facilities, beautiful bluegrass countryside and convenient location at the crossroads of I-64 and I-75 make it a peerless location for a destination wedding. We've put some resources together to help you plan your destination wedding in Lexington, Kentucky, the Horse Capital of the World.
Required Documents and Fees
In order to get married in Kentucky, you must apply for a marriage license. Licenses may be obtained from the Fayette County Clerk's office, located at 162 East Main Street, Lexington. Here are the requirements for applying for a marriage license:
- The bride and groom must apply for the license together. Applicants will complete a worksheet at the beginning of the application process, this can be downloaded from the County Clerk's website and completed prior to arrival at the office.
- Both must be 18 years old or older.
- There is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
- The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
- Both must present an acceptable form of ID, such as a driver's license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card.
- There is a $50 fee for the license
Does your dream wedding involve getting married in a picturesque historic home? How about at the renowned Keeneland Race Course? Then you should get married in Lexington. Wineries, museums and horse farms are some of the other venues where you can tie the knot. Or, find that special place for a catered rehearsal dinner. Browse our list of Special Venues.
From candelabras to chairs to tents, Lexington rental companies will probably have just what you need. If you are putting your wedding together on your own, here are some rental companies from our Convention Services Directory that would love to be a valuable resource to you on your wedding day.