10. East Second Street Christian Church

146 Constitution
 East Second Street Christian Church
The East Second Street Christian Church began its religious services in an old carriage factory.  This small but celebrated house of worship among "Disciples of Christ" originated in 1852 under the leadership of Thomas Phillips.  The doors opened at the time of the greatest activity on the Underground Railroad.  In 1880, the present site was purchased--just two decades after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed.  This remarkable church represents an intrinsic part of an historical neighborhood that is in close proximity to downtown Lexington.

Photo courtesy of  
Lexington Convention and Visitors Bureau