HORSES AND TRADITIONS by: Julie, Horse Blogger
BREEZE THE BLUEGRASS
Keeneland Race Course in Lexington wraps up the 2012 Fall Meet on Saturday, October 27. The last Sunrise Trackside event takes place that day, as well, and features Breakfast With The Works in the Equestrian Dining Room, from 7:00am-8:30am. Children’s activities take place from 7:00am-9:00am. Kids can meet Buckles, the Keeneland mascot at that time. In fact, Buckles will be hosting a Halloween costume contest, as well. An annual favorite at Keeneland is an appearance by the Headless Horseman, rumored to be lurking around the Paddock area at 9:00am. Be sure to take in the guided walking tour of the beautiful grounds of Keeneland between 8:30am and 10:30am. A handicapping seminar takes place trackside at 11:30am.
The Alltech National Horse Show begins October 30 and runs through November 4. This year, Saddlebred and carriage driving classes are featured. The National has a very prestigious past, and it is an honor for this show to now reside in Kentucky at the Kentucky Horse Park. Founded in 1883, the National was originally held in the original, and subsequent, Madison Square Garden locations in New York City. In 2011, the National was moved, permanently, to the Alltech Arena at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.
This is a busy time of year at the Kentucky Horse Park. Saturday, October 28, the Horse Park will offer discounted admission to everyone wearing a Halloween costume. That day, the Horses of the World barn, at 2:00pm, will present their annual Halloween show.
November 15 is the Southern Lights Stroll, which is a pleasant walk through the Horse Park and kicks off the Southern Lights light show. Walk-up registration begins at 5:00pm, and the Stroll begins at 6:45pm.
November 16 through December 31 come out to the Horse Park and enjoy the Southern Lights, which is a drive-through holiday light extravaganza, featuring thousands of moving and twinkling lights spread out across several acres of the Park. I have been watching Horse Park staff prepping the Southern Lights displays over the last couple of weeks. Southern Lights is in its 19th year, and is such a fun holiday tradition.
Enjoy your time in the Bluegrass!
- LEX‚ÄôS BEST KEPT SECRET - Thursday Nov 1, 2012
- HORSES AND TRADITIONS - Wednesday Oct 24, 2012
- Larger Than Life Horses - Thursday Sep 6, 2012
- Hats Off to Horses - Thursday Aug 2, 2012
- From County Fairs to Olympics - Tuesday Jul 24, 2012
- EQUESTRIAN FUNDRAISERS AND MORE - Thursday Jul 19, 2012
- MORGANS AND BOERPERDS - Friday Jul 6, 2012
- HORSES HERE AND THERE - Monday Jun 25, 2012
- BORN OF THE DESERT WIND - Wednesday May 30, 2012
- FLYING EQUINE ART - Friday May 18, 2012
- THREE PHASES, HIGH HOPES & POLO - Wednesday May 9, 2012
- WIN, PLACE AND SHOW - Thursday May 3, 2012
- HORSES AT BLUEGRASS AIRPORT - Wednesday Apr 25, 2012
- HORSES ON THE WALL - Thursday Apr 19, 2012
- HORSES AND HATS - Thursday Apr 12, 2012
- HORSES AND THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND - Tuesday Apr 3, 2012
- HIGH TEA AND HORSES - Thursday Mar 29, 2012
- THOROUGHBRED PARK & GOOD CLEAN FUN - Friday Mar 23, 2012
- KENTUCKY HORSE PARK TURNS 34 - Wednesday Mar 14, 2012
- TAKE THE EQUINE INITIATIVE - Thursday Feb 23, 2012
- STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE‚ÄôS MOUTH - Thursday Feb 16, 2012
- WORLD-CLASS HORSE SHOWS - Thursday Feb 9, 2012
- SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER? - Thursday Feb 2, 2012
- COWBOYS AND LUCK - Thursday Jan 26, 2012
- ONLY ONE FUNNY CIDE - Friday Jan 20, 2012
- NEVER TOO COLD - Friday Jan 13, 2012
- NEW YEAR-OLD FRIENDS - Friday Jan 6, 2012
- WARM HORSE - Wednesday Dec 14, 2011
- HORSES FOR THE HOLIDAYS - Friday Nov 18, 2011
- VIRTUAL REALITY - Friday Nov 11, 2011
- TWO IN ONE - Wednesday Nov 2, 2011
- PUMPKINS AND PONY RIDES - Friday Oct 28, 2011
- FALL FOLIAGE TIME - Sunday Oct 23, 2011
- ‚ÄúVARIETY‚ÄĚ IS THE WORD - Wednesday Oct 12, 2011
- A DAY AT THE RACES - Thursday Oct 6, 2011
- FESTIVAL OF THE HORSE - Wednesday Sep 28, 2011
- SECRETARIAT FESTIVAL and MORE 9-21-11 - Wednesday Sep 21, 2011
- KEENELAND SEPTEMBER YEARLING SALE 9/15/11 - Friday Sep 16, 2011