Larger Than Life Horses by: Julie, Horse Blogger
BREEZE THE BLUEGRASS
It’s good to be back in Lexington. All my children are now in their respective places. After negotiating the labyrinths that are the New Jersey and Pennsylvania Turnpikes, while pulling a large trailer behind my SUV, I finally made it out of the Twilight Zone and back to the Bluegrass. At one point, I had to scrap modern technology and ask for directions. Sometimes there in nothing better in the world than a hand-drawn map showing the way back to the correct side of the highway.
The large mural at the northeast end of Lexington's Bluegrass Airport runway is being restored to its original splendor. When approaching the intersection of Man O’ War and Versailles Road from the east, south or north from Keeneland Race Course, what looks like a large viaduct with blue skies, green rolling hills and a horse farm in the distance, is really a concrete retaining wall with a runway on top. Eric Henn, a native of Ohio, is touching up the runway mural. Check out Eric’s other projects, including a storage tank in Lexington and Versailles.
Click on “Tanks & Towers” and check out a “Horse Capital of the World” water tower in Lexington, at the junction of I-64/I-75 here
An online sign-industry news website called SignWeb posts an article by the artist, Eric Henn, regarding how this water tower project in Versailles came about.
Click on “Architectural & Commercial Murals” on Henn’s website to view the “Airport Wall, Lexington, KY” photos at the Bluegrass Airport.
Dressage rings are being constructed at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington for the Midsouth Eventing and Dressage Association’s Dressage At The Park I & II. Come out and watch elegant dressage performances September 7-9, 2012.
Also, on Saturday, September 9 is a cross-country schooling day at the Kentucky Horse Park. Sponsored by the Horse Park’s Foundation, the first session will be from 8am-12pm, and the second session will be from 12:30pm-4:30pm. For only $35, you and your horse can play on the Horse Park’s expansive Cross Country course. Call the Foundation at 859-255-5727 or check out the Foundation’s website here
Looking ahead, be sure to cheer on the competitors at the Special Olympics Kentucky State Competition, Saturday, September 29, 2012, when it returns to the Kentucky Horse Park.
Enjoy your time in the Bluegrass!
- LEX‚ÄôS BEST KEPT SECRET - Thursday Nov 1, 2012
- HORSES AND TRADITIONS - Wednesday Oct 24, 2012
- Larger Than Life Horses - Thursday Sep 6, 2012
- Hats Off to Horses - Thursday Aug 2, 2012
- From County Fairs to Olympics - Tuesday Jul 24, 2012
- EQUESTRIAN FUNDRAISERS AND MORE - Thursday Jul 19, 2012
- MORGANS AND BOERPERDS - Friday Jul 6, 2012
- HORSES HERE AND THERE - Monday Jun 25, 2012
- BORN OF THE DESERT WIND - Wednesday May 30, 2012
- FLYING EQUINE ART - Friday May 18, 2012
- THREE PHASES, HIGH HOPES & POLO - Wednesday May 9, 2012
- WIN, PLACE AND SHOW - Thursday May 3, 2012
- HORSES AT BLUEGRASS AIRPORT - Wednesday Apr 25, 2012
- HORSES ON THE WALL - Thursday Apr 19, 2012
- HORSES AND HATS - Thursday Apr 12, 2012
- HORSES AND THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND - Tuesday Apr 3, 2012
- HIGH TEA AND HORSES - Thursday Mar 29, 2012
- THOROUGHBRED PARK & GOOD CLEAN FUN - Friday Mar 23, 2012
- KENTUCKY HORSE PARK TURNS 34 - Wednesday Mar 14, 2012
- TAKE THE EQUINE INITIATIVE - Thursday Feb 23, 2012
- STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE‚ÄôS MOUTH - Thursday Feb 16, 2012
- WORLD-CLASS HORSE SHOWS - Thursday Feb 9, 2012
- SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER? - Thursday Feb 2, 2012
- COWBOYS AND LUCK - Thursday Jan 26, 2012
- ONLY ONE FUNNY CIDE - Friday Jan 20, 2012
- NEVER TOO COLD - Friday Jan 13, 2012
- NEW YEAR-OLD FRIENDS - Friday Jan 6, 2012
- WARM HORSE - Wednesday Dec 14, 2011
- HORSES FOR THE HOLIDAYS - Friday Nov 18, 2011
- VIRTUAL REALITY - Friday Nov 11, 2011
- TWO IN ONE - Wednesday Nov 2, 2011
- PUMPKINS AND PONY RIDES - Friday Oct 28, 2011
- FALL FOLIAGE TIME - Sunday Oct 23, 2011
- ‚ÄúVARIETY‚ÄĚ IS THE WORD - Wednesday Oct 12, 2011
- A DAY AT THE RACES - Thursday Oct 6, 2011
- FESTIVAL OF THE HORSE - Wednesday Sep 28, 2011
- SECRETARIAT FESTIVAL and MORE 9-21-11 - Wednesday Sep 21, 2011
- KEENELAND SEPTEMBER YEARLING SALE 9/15/11 - Friday Sep 16, 2011