From County Fairs to Olympics by: Julie, Horse Blogger
BREEZE THE BLUEGRASS
The Mercer County Fair is in full swing this week in Harrodsburg. In conjunction with the Fair is their Horse Show, claiming to be the oldest continuously running horse show in the country, featuring Saddlebreds, Hackneys and Roadsters. The Mercer County Fair Horse Show runs July 24-28 at the Mercer County Fair Grounds. Some of the show classes include three- and five-gaited saddle horses, harness ponies and horses, saddleseat equitation and pleasure, and halter classes for American Saddlebred yearlings and mares/foals. There is even an antique carriage driving class on Friday.
The Olympics are coming! Olympic equestrian events begin Saturday, July 28 and run through Wednesday, August 8.
Be sure to watch the short video midway down the page. It is a snippet of the Eventing disciplines from the Bejing Olympics in 2008. I get goosebumps watching…but then I always do! Many of the riders we see at our annual Rolex competition here in Lexington every April will be riding in the London Olympics too.
No matter where in the Bluegrass you are, if you have a cable or satellite TV subscription, you can catch live Olympic Equestrian competition streams on your television, laptop or smartphone.
Look for the red bar that says, “Click Here & Get Ready,” and follow the directions to sign up for the Live Extra feature. To access coverage on your smartphone, be sure to down load the LiveExtra app.
While not necessarily an equestrian event, the gift shop at Keeneland Race Course in Lexington is having another big sale Thursday through Sunday, July 26-28. It’s never too early to shop for the holidays! Enter the main entrance at the intersection of Versailles Road and Man O War Boulevard and turn right towards the Keenland Entertainment Center. Good signage will lead the way.
Enjoy your time in the Bluegrass!
- LEX‚ÄôS BEST KEPT SECRET - Thursday Nov 1, 2012
- HORSES AND TRADITIONS - Wednesday Oct 24, 2012
- Larger Than Life Horses - Thursday Sep 6, 2012
- Hats Off to Horses - Thursday Aug 2, 2012
- From County Fairs to Olympics - Tuesday Jul 24, 2012
- EQUESTRIAN FUNDRAISERS AND MORE - Thursday Jul 19, 2012
- MORGANS AND BOERPERDS - Friday Jul 6, 2012
- HORSES HERE AND THERE - Monday Jun 25, 2012
- BORN OF THE DESERT WIND - Wednesday May 30, 2012
- FLYING EQUINE ART - Friday May 18, 2012
- THREE PHASES, HIGH HOPES & POLO - Wednesday May 9, 2012
- WIN, PLACE AND SHOW - Thursday May 3, 2012
- HORSES AT BLUEGRASS AIRPORT - Wednesday Apr 25, 2012
- HORSES ON THE WALL - Thursday Apr 19, 2012
- HORSES AND HATS - Thursday Apr 12, 2012
- HORSES AND THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND - Tuesday Apr 3, 2012
- HIGH TEA AND HORSES - Thursday Mar 29, 2012
- THOROUGHBRED PARK & GOOD CLEAN FUN - Friday Mar 23, 2012
- KENTUCKY HORSE PARK TURNS 34 - Wednesday Mar 14, 2012
- TAKE THE EQUINE INITIATIVE - Thursday Feb 23, 2012
- STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE‚ÄôS MOUTH - Thursday Feb 16, 2012
- WORLD-CLASS HORSE SHOWS - Thursday Feb 9, 2012
- SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER? - Thursday Feb 2, 2012
- COWBOYS AND LUCK - Thursday Jan 26, 2012
- ONLY ONE FUNNY CIDE - Friday Jan 20, 2012
- NEVER TOO COLD - Friday Jan 13, 2012
- NEW YEAR-OLD FRIENDS - Friday Jan 6, 2012
- WARM HORSE - Wednesday Dec 14, 2011
- HORSES FOR THE HOLIDAYS - Friday Nov 18, 2011
- VIRTUAL REALITY - Friday Nov 11, 2011
- TWO IN ONE - Wednesday Nov 2, 2011
- PUMPKINS AND PONY RIDES - Friday Oct 28, 2011
- FALL FOLIAGE TIME - Sunday Oct 23, 2011
- ‚ÄúVARIETY‚ÄĚ IS THE WORD - Wednesday Oct 12, 2011
- A DAY AT THE RACES - Thursday Oct 6, 2011
- FESTIVAL OF THE HORSE - Wednesday Sep 28, 2011
- SECRETARIAT FESTIVAL and MORE 9-21-11 - Wednesday Sep 21, 2011
- KEENELAND SEPTEMBER YEARLING SALE 9/15/11 - Friday Sep 16, 2011