EQUESTRIAN FUNDRAISERS AND MORE by: Julie, Horse Blogger
BREEZE THE BLUEGRASS
Equine activities come in all shapes and sizes these days in the Bluegrass. From a festival of synthetic horses, an Olympic-caliber show for junior riders and a benefit polo match, all are on tap now for our summer enjoyment.
July 20-22, take in Breyerfest at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. This festival, which began in 1989, honors the collectable model Breyer horse, which was first created in 1950. I’m not ashamed to report that I have about 10 or so Breyers sitting on various bookshelves around my house. Lots of time was spent, when I was a kid, making blankets and halters for them. The highlights of this festival include a huge trade fair, where vintage and new horses can be bought and sold, as well as instructional classes on customizing or repairing your model horse. This Breyerfest is the year of the “British Invasion” featuring horse breeds from the United Kingdom. Several special equine guests will be visiting Breyerfest. Mariah’s Boon is a pinto Gypsy Drum Horse and Taskin is a buckskin Gypsy Vanner. You can see these horses in person and also purchase the models created in their image.
This year, Breyer has created a model horse to benefit a local thoroughbred racehorse retirement and rescue farm. Old Friends was created after it was learned that Ferdinand, a horse that had won the 1986 Kentucky Derby and was named the 1987 Horse of the Year, had been sent to a slaughterhouse in Japan. Old Friends, located at 1841 Paynes Depot Road in Georgetown, KY, houses over 25 famous racers and offers daily tours. Old Friend’s connection with this year’s Breyerfest is the creation of an Old Friend resident, “Bull Inthe Heather.” “Bully,” as he is called, is a son of Ferdinand, and came to Old Friends in 2006. A portion of the sale of this model horse will go to Old Friends to help them do their rescue work.
Call Old Friends, 502-863-1775, to order your Bull Inthe Heather Breyer horse.
Underway this week is the North American Junior and Young Rider Championships (NAJYRC), also at the Kentucky Horse Park. The NAJYRC is a World Equestrian Games competition for riders ages 14-21 and is conducted under Federation Equestre Internationale guidelines. It is the only FEI championship annually held in the North America. You’ll have a chance to watch the three Olympic disciplines of dressage, eventing, and show jumping, along with two FEI disciplines of reining and endurance. Two non-championship events, vaulting and para-equestrian classes, are offered as well.
Another exciting and world-class event not to miss while in the Bluegrass is the Bluegrass International Cup polo match. Enjoy tailgating, dinner, polo and live music Friday evening, July 20, beginning at 4:30pm at, you guessed it, the Kentucky Horse Park. The John Henry Polo field, located at the back of the Park will be the location of this polo match. Tickets start at around $33 per person for tailgating and go up from there. This 6th Annual benefit helps the Markey Cancer Foundation and The Fayette Alliance.
If you have a chance to be at the Kentucky Horse Park this Saturday, July 21, don’t miss a book signing by Patrick Smithwick. He’ll be signing his new book, Flying Change: A year of racing and family and steeplechasing from 11am to 1pm in the Horse Park gift shop, located in the Visitor Information Center where you purchase your Park admission tickets.
Enjoy your time in the Bluegrass!
- LEX‚ÄôS BEST KEPT SECRET - Thursday Nov 1, 2012
- HORSES AND TRADITIONS - Wednesday Oct 24, 2012
- Larger Than Life Horses - Thursday Sep 6, 2012
- Hats Off to Horses - Thursday Aug 2, 2012
- From County Fairs to Olympics - Tuesday Jul 24, 2012
- EQUESTRIAN FUNDRAISERS AND MORE - Thursday Jul 19, 2012
- MORGANS AND BOERPERDS - Friday Jul 6, 2012
- HORSES HERE AND THERE - Monday Jun 25, 2012
- BORN OF THE DESERT WIND - Wednesday May 30, 2012
- FLYING EQUINE ART - Friday May 18, 2012
- THREE PHASES, HIGH HOPES & POLO - Wednesday May 9, 2012
- WIN, PLACE AND SHOW - Thursday May 3, 2012
- HORSES AT BLUEGRASS AIRPORT - Wednesday Apr 25, 2012
- HORSES ON THE WALL - Thursday Apr 19, 2012
- HORSES AND HATS - Thursday Apr 12, 2012
- HORSES AND THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND - Tuesday Apr 3, 2012
- HIGH TEA AND HORSES - Thursday Mar 29, 2012
- THOROUGHBRED PARK & GOOD CLEAN FUN - Friday Mar 23, 2012
- KENTUCKY HORSE PARK TURNS 34 - Wednesday Mar 14, 2012
- TAKE THE EQUINE INITIATIVE - Thursday Feb 23, 2012
- STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE‚ÄôS MOUTH - Thursday Feb 16, 2012
- WORLD-CLASS HORSE SHOWS - Thursday Feb 9, 2012
- SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER? - Thursday Feb 2, 2012
- COWBOYS AND LUCK - Thursday Jan 26, 2012
- ONLY ONE FUNNY CIDE - Friday Jan 20, 2012
- NEVER TOO COLD - Friday Jan 13, 2012
- NEW YEAR-OLD FRIENDS - Friday Jan 6, 2012
- WARM HORSE - Wednesday Dec 14, 2011
- HORSES FOR THE HOLIDAYS - Friday Nov 18, 2011
- VIRTUAL REALITY - Friday Nov 11, 2011
- TWO IN ONE - Wednesday Nov 2, 2011
- PUMPKINS AND PONY RIDES - Friday Oct 28, 2011
- FALL FOLIAGE TIME - Sunday Oct 23, 2011
- ‚ÄúVARIETY‚ÄĚ IS THE WORD - Wednesday Oct 12, 2011
- A DAY AT THE RACES - Thursday Oct 6, 2011
- FESTIVAL OF THE HORSE - Wednesday Sep 28, 2011
- SECRETARIAT FESTIVAL and MORE 9-21-11 - Wednesday Sep 21, 2011
- KEENELAND SEPTEMBER YEARLING SALE 9/15/11 - Friday Sep 16, 2011