WIN, PLACE AND SHOW by: Julie, Horse Blogger
BREEZE THE BLUEGRASS 5/3/12
Get into the spirit of the 138th Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby races this weekend by placing a bet on your favorite horse in each race. This year there are four locations in Lexington to do just that. The Kentucky Horse Park, Red Mile Race Harness Racing Track, Thoroughbred Training Center and Keeneland Race Course all have drive-through lanes set up to whisk you through and on your way. At the all four locations, drive-through betting hours for the Kentucky Oaks are Friday, May 4 from 8am until Oaks post time, roughly 5:45pm. Drive-through hours to place a bet on the Kentucky Derby horses run from Friday, 8am, through Saturday, May 5 until Derby post time, approximately 5:20pm. Keeneland has its twelve drive-through lanes open now, and also has many windows open inside the grandstand, if you’d like to park and walk in to place your bet.
Keeneland Race Course, located at the intersection of Versailles Road and Man O’ War Boulevard, outlines the best way to place your bet, whether drive-through or at the grandstand.
What, exactly, is a Graded Stakes Race? Merriam-Webster defines a stakes race as “a horse race in which the prize offered is made up, at least in part, of money (as in entry fees) put up by the owners of the horses entered.” But a ‘graded stakes race’ needs a little more clarification.
Beyond this first weekend in May, there are a couple of other horse-related events on the horizon. The 22st annual Sayre School Combined Test and Dressage Horse Show is slated for Saturday, May 12 out at Masterson Station Park, 3051 Leestown Road, in Lexington. Come out for a fun morning of dressage and an exciting afternoon of stadium jumping. After watching the Rolex last weekend, see how it’s done on a local level. This show is not just for youth competitors. Kentucky’s First Lady Jane Beshear is a competitor again this year. She won the competition several years ago! Her Horses and Hope program continues to increase breast cancer awareness and detection to not only the equine industry in Kentucky, but those who support the horse industry by attending horse races, horse shows, rodeos and fairs.
Imagine riding your own horse on the world-renowned cross country course out at the Kentucky Horse Park. Wednesday, May 9, is the first of five Cross Country Schooling Days. All riding levels are welcome. The $35 fee benefits the Kentucky Horse Park Foundation in their efforts to maintain the Kentucky Horse Park as a world-class destination.
Enjoy your time in the Bluegrass!
- LEX‚ÄôS BEST KEPT SECRET - Thursday Nov 1, 2012
- HORSES AND TRADITIONS - Wednesday Oct 24, 2012
- Larger Than Life Horses - Thursday Sep 6, 2012
- Hats Off to Horses - Thursday Aug 2, 2012
- From County Fairs to Olympics - Tuesday Jul 24, 2012
- EQUESTRIAN FUNDRAISERS AND MORE - Thursday Jul 19, 2012
- MORGANS AND BOERPERDS - Friday Jul 6, 2012
- HORSES HERE AND THERE - Monday Jun 25, 2012
- BORN OF THE DESERT WIND - Wednesday May 30, 2012
- FLYING EQUINE ART - Friday May 18, 2012
- THREE PHASES, HIGH HOPES & POLO - Wednesday May 9, 2012
- WIN, PLACE AND SHOW - Thursday May 3, 2012
- HORSES AT BLUEGRASS AIRPORT - Wednesday Apr 25, 2012
- HORSES ON THE WALL - Thursday Apr 19, 2012
- HORSES AND HATS - Thursday Apr 12, 2012
- HORSES AND THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND - Tuesday Apr 3, 2012
- HIGH TEA AND HORSES - Thursday Mar 29, 2012
- THOROUGHBRED PARK & GOOD CLEAN FUN - Friday Mar 23, 2012
- KENTUCKY HORSE PARK TURNS 34 - Wednesday Mar 14, 2012
- TAKE THE EQUINE INITIATIVE - Thursday Feb 23, 2012
- STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE‚ÄôS MOUTH - Thursday Feb 16, 2012
- WORLD-CLASS HORSE SHOWS - Thursday Feb 9, 2012
- SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER? - Thursday Feb 2, 2012
- COWBOYS AND LUCK - Thursday Jan 26, 2012
- ONLY ONE FUNNY CIDE - Friday Jan 20, 2012
- NEVER TOO COLD - Friday Jan 13, 2012
- NEW YEAR-OLD FRIENDS - Friday Jan 6, 2012
- WARM HORSE - Wednesday Dec 14, 2011
- HORSES FOR THE HOLIDAYS - Friday Nov 18, 2011
- VIRTUAL REALITY - Friday Nov 11, 2011
- TWO IN ONE - Wednesday Nov 2, 2011
- PUMPKINS AND PONY RIDES - Friday Oct 28, 2011
- FALL FOLIAGE TIME - Sunday Oct 23, 2011
- ‚ÄúVARIETY‚ÄĚ IS THE WORD - Wednesday Oct 12, 2011
- A DAY AT THE RACES - Thursday Oct 6, 2011
- FESTIVAL OF THE HORSE - Wednesday Sep 28, 2011
- SECRETARIAT FESTIVAL and MORE 9-21-11 - Wednesday Sep 21, 2011
- KEENELAND SEPTEMBER YEARLING SALE 9/15/11 - Friday Sep 16, 2011