NEVER TOO COLD by: Julie, Horse Blogger
BREEZE THE BLUEGRASS 1/13/12
Wintry weather provides a great opportunity to clean up, mend and polish riding clothing and equipment. A little saddle soap and some muscle will spiff up the most neglected boot and saddle. A website called eHow.com has a great little video on the basics of how to clean a saddle.
Winter is also a great time to take in a local horse show. The Kentucky Hunter Jumper Association (KHJA) is sponsoring it’s first sanctioned horse show of the year on January 14 & 15 at Lakeside Arena, located in Frankfort, KY. KHJA is the local division of the United States Hunter Jumper Association (USHJA), which happens to be located right here in the Bluegrass at the Kentucky Horse Park. Both organizations serve all levels of competitive riders, from the beginner and collegiate team rider, all the way up the ranks to the world-class champion athalete. These organizations serve to promote the Hunter/Jumper sport through various educational clinics and competitive shows.
And now for something completely different on the other end of the riding spectrum…Professional roughstock rocks! Bareback, saddle bronc and bull riding come to the Alltech Arena January 27 & 28 for the Alltech Lexington Invitational.
As mentioned in previous blogs, indoor polo, courtesy of the Lexington Polo Association, is underway at the Kentucky Horse Park through the end of March, 2012. While polo is so much fun to watch, it’s a little more complicated than just smacking a small ball with a stick while riding full tilt on the back of a horse. Come out to the covered arena on play days and check out the action!
THE HORSE, a world-class exhibition at the Kentucky Horse Park, is now open through April 6, 2012. THE HORSE exhibit is sponsored by the American Museum of Natural History in New York, and is supported by the Field Museum in Chicago, the San Diego Natural History Museum, the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Ottawa, and the Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage, United Arab Emirates. The International Museum of the Horse is a Smithsonian affiliate.
Tickets are now on sale for the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, generally just called The Rolex. Mark your calendar for April 26 – 29, 2012. Why does a three-day event take four days, you ask? The dressage portion of the Event takes two days to work in all of the entrants.
Enjoy your time in the Bluegrass!
Thanks for the shout-out for the Professional Roughstock Lexington Invitational 1/27 & 1/28. We are loving Lexington! www.facebook.com/proroughstock
by: Michelle Kane
Monday Jan 30, 2012
- LEX‚ÄôS BEST KEPT SECRET - Thursday Nov 1, 2012
- HORSES AND TRADITIONS - Wednesday Oct 24, 2012
- Larger Than Life Horses - Thursday Sep 6, 2012
- Hats Off to Horses - Thursday Aug 2, 2012
- From County Fairs to Olympics - Tuesday Jul 24, 2012
- EQUESTRIAN FUNDRAISERS AND MORE - Thursday Jul 19, 2012
- MORGANS AND BOERPERDS - Friday Jul 6, 2012
- HORSES HERE AND THERE - Monday Jun 25, 2012
- BORN OF THE DESERT WIND - Wednesday May 30, 2012
- FLYING EQUINE ART - Friday May 18, 2012
- THREE PHASES, HIGH HOPES & POLO - Wednesday May 9, 2012
- WIN, PLACE AND SHOW - Thursday May 3, 2012
- HORSES AT BLUEGRASS AIRPORT - Wednesday Apr 25, 2012
- HORSES ON THE WALL - Thursday Apr 19, 2012
- HORSES AND HATS - Thursday Apr 12, 2012
- HORSES AND THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND - Tuesday Apr 3, 2012
- HIGH TEA AND HORSES - Thursday Mar 29, 2012
- THOROUGHBRED PARK & GOOD CLEAN FUN - Friday Mar 23, 2012
- KENTUCKY HORSE PARK TURNS 34 - Wednesday Mar 14, 2012
- TAKE THE EQUINE INITIATIVE - Thursday Feb 23, 2012
- STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE‚ÄôS MOUTH - Thursday Feb 16, 2012
- WORLD-CLASS HORSE SHOWS - Thursday Feb 9, 2012
- SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER? - Thursday Feb 2, 2012
- COWBOYS AND LUCK - Thursday Jan 26, 2012
- ONLY ONE FUNNY CIDE - Friday Jan 20, 2012
- NEVER TOO COLD - Friday Jan 13, 2012
- NEW YEAR-OLD FRIENDS - Friday Jan 6, 2012
- WARM HORSE - Wednesday Dec 14, 2011
- HORSES FOR THE HOLIDAYS - Friday Nov 18, 2011
- VIRTUAL REALITY - Friday Nov 11, 2011
- TWO IN ONE - Wednesday Nov 2, 2011
- PUMPKINS AND PONY RIDES - Friday Oct 28, 2011
- FALL FOLIAGE TIME - Sunday Oct 23, 2011
- ‚ÄúVARIETY‚ÄĚ IS THE WORD - Wednesday Oct 12, 2011
- A DAY AT THE RACES - Thursday Oct 6, 2011
- FESTIVAL OF THE HORSE - Wednesday Sep 28, 2011
- SECRETARIAT FESTIVAL and MORE 9-21-11 - Wednesday Sep 21, 2011
- KEENELAND SEPTEMBER YEARLING SALE 9/15/11 - Friday Sep 16, 2011